Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sex in Kampala

So I’m in my favorite little cubbyhole in the internet café today. I like it because there is a little bit more privacy than in the others, a nice view out over the street and today it is threatening to rain so when it does come pouring down, I have a front row, yet dry seat. So when I log in the computer tells me that my last session (the last person on this computer’s session) timed out and do I want to restore? I absentmindedly hit yes and am now not so happy with my private cubicle. Some people are not just admiring the rain in here.

Next time I’ll try a different cubbyhole!

I saw Sex in the City Friday night and would recommend it to any Sex fans to see…. as long as you are in a western country or you have no qualms with watching the movie version of the most materialistic and shallow tv program available today. Well, I think for shallowness Desperate Housewives would take the prize. Now don’t get me wrong, I love S in C. I just have a whole lotta guilt attached to that love. I could reign it in when watching the show on early mornings from Anne Marie's bed with her mom bringing us bagels from Steamers. (we are spoiled rotten brats at times I’m sure you all know) But when the guy fetching me popcorn is making the hourly wage of aprox. 20 cents an hour and Carrie is worried about her 540$ pair of shoes, well, I found myself trying to figure out how many kids those Manolo’s could have put through school.

(don’t read this part if you haven’t seen the movie!!!)
One part that was especially funny because I was in East Africa is when the ladies took off for Mexico and Charlotte refused to drink even the bottles of water (she subsists entirely on pudding she brings from the U.S.) and remarks somewhere along the lines of “You can never be too careful, we are in Mexico after all!” My entire theatre erupted in laughter. I had just eaten a med/rare stake in Kampala, I don’t think Charlotte would have approved. J

(ok this part is safe again)
Here’s my living situation update for all that are interested (especially those few that know the city, you may find this humorous):

1) When we first got here Andrea and I ran away from the Backpacker’s Hostel because it was dirty, the staff was unconscionably rude, the food was super expensive (and not so yummy) and to top it all off, a staff member came screaming from the kitchen because there was a poisonous snake in there. We ended up at a cute Guest House on the grounds of Makerere University for one night.

2) We moved into the Mak apartments (also on campus) which were fine… unless you sat in the living room for too long and then everyone was getting weird bites all over their legs, like microscopic carpet flies (totally made that species up) or something.

3) Was in Gulu so lived at Acholi Inn for 10 days. Was ok other than the head burying spider we found in room. At least that is what someone called it. Jodie and I tried to figure out if that meant it buried into your head, or it buried it’s head into you. Either way not so nice. Especially not when we tried to shoo it out of the room and it let go of about a hundred little head burying spider babies who scattered throughout the room. We showed them no mercy.

4) When we got back from being up country, we lived with my friend Pete in Kampala (Ntinda to be exact) for about a week and a half. His house is super cute but could be mistaken for nothing less than a bachelor pad!

5) He tried to move us to Kansanga (when his mom came to town for the first time in 22 years!!! They are originally from Northern Uganda) but was going to so kindly supply a fridge, pots, security guard, etc etc for this place but we politely declined in order that he didn’t go broke taking care of us.

6) We living in the garage of some friends house (the Mzungu house as it is known) in Naguru for a weekend.

7) Went to Red Chili Hideaway Hostel in Bugolobi for 3 nights. Sooo much better than Backpackers: free internet, helpful staff, cheap laundry service, cute clean rooms.

8) Now we are at our friend Matt’s in Bukoto/Kamwokya. Well, I should say I am, Andrea has taken off to Zanzibar for a week or so. And Matt is in Nairobi so for the first time in over a month I have my own room with my own bed! Lovin it!

So as you can see we are getting to know Kampala pretty well. I’m ridiculously tired of moving though so am hoping I can find a place to rent really soon. Wish us luck!

On a totally different note there is a ‘newspaper’ here that is the National Inquirer of Uganda. I didn’t know that for the first couple weeks. That made for some moments of awe and confusion. The grossest cover story they had was about a week ago and it had a picture of a man’s penis that was very obviously infected with some terrible STD. This was a full page picture on the cover! The splashy title of the article was even better though: “I WILL NEVER BONK AGAIN!” Bonk… not kidding! I also heard that they once published a list of the top 10 gayest men Uganda. I’m pretty sure you get the death penalty (or close to it) here for engaging in homosexual behaviour (made Sex in the City even a bit more uncomfortable) so a lot of those men lost jobs, got beat up, and many other horrendous things they didn't deserve and I’m sure people don’t know about. In a more reputable newspaper today there was a story heading that read: “I turned mentally retarded.” Anyways, you get the point. Things are different here! And in most ways (ex. not as many Manolo addicts) I am loving it very very much!

Love to you all!

No comments: