Saturday, November 29, 2008

Offroading in Uganda & Kitabi Poets Update

The Kitabi Poets are going to be the main entertainers at the Bushenyi District’s World AIDS Day event that is going to be held next Friday. One of the three organizing groups is the Kabwohe Clinical Research Center (KCRC) who are doing some amazing HIV research with discordant couples. The Poets have been working on a play to educate people about the work KCRC does. So yesterday I traveled to Kitabi with Gordon from KCRC, Cedric from ICOBI (its partner institution that focuses on empowering vulnerable children and families) and another guy who randomly jumped into the truck and may or may not have been an LC of one level or other.
We had to drop off two couples that had been at KCRC for their program first. One couple was just off the highway, so no problems. The other couple lived further out in rural Uganda than I had even been before. It has been a long time since people have stared at me in shock and surprise rather than in plain interest. They didn’t even return my wave they were so busy catching flys. Mzungu.

The ‘road’ tapered off about halfway through our journey to the couple’s house and became a potholed footpath that snaked around precarious edges of lush green hills. The drop was steep and scary but the view was magnificent and stunning. It was like being on a rollercoaster that goes through…well…that goes through lush Uganda. The driver was driving like he was running from the devil himself and most of us were seated in the back on the bench seats with no seatbelts and only each other to hang onto for stability. Going in we went down a steep drop and if we hadn’t been in a land rover (that has been converted into an ambulance) there is no way we would have gotten out again!

(but we did!)
The couples land was perched right on the top of a hill. It was very tidy, held three well maintained buildings, and was beautifully and simply landscaped. Through the matooke you had a 360 view of the area.One of the people in this couple are HIV positive.

The other is HIV negative.

With the help of ARV’s they are both living healthy normal lives. The research that KCRC (and other organizations like them across Africa) is doing could, eventually, lead to a vaccine for HIV. There are so many amazing things being done in Uganda to improve the lives of ordinary citizens and I have been very blessed to be working closely with and learning from these dedicated and passionate individuals who are making these programs possible.

We finally reached Kitabi around 430pm. We were supposed to be there at noon. Welcome to Africa Time taken to the extreme. And still when I am late for things (not knowing that no one else will show up for another hour) I get sweaty and my brain fogs up. I hate being 15 min’s late for everything in Canada, but being 4 hours late for anything anywhere makes me absolutely crazy!

I practiced saying “I’m so sorry” in Runyankore as we drew nearer to Kitabi.

We were eventually forgiven. :)

I didn’t realize how much I had missed the Poets until I walked in and saw them. Upon entering the church I immediately went over and hugged a bunch of the ladies and young girls. I was overjoyed to be back there.

After we took our seats beside a gaggle of adorable little kids (I have so many pictures to put up when I get back), the show began.

About 30 seconds after the first performance started Cedric (who I had just met that day) leaned over to me and seemingly surprised said, “the group is amazing! You were hugging everyone, have you been here before?” I explained that I had only been three times but wished it was more.
When the three performances ended Cedric and Gordon introduced themselves. Gordon expressed how impressed he was and that he hadn’t known he was coming out here to see such a truly talented group. When I spoke after, I told everyone that Gordon obviously didn’t then know me very well, as I certainly don’t get involved with people who aren’t both passionate and talented when it comes to theatre!

Gordon was so impressed by their talent and passion for helping their community that he pledged that KCRC would continue to be involved with the group and give them as much support as possible. He told me later that he would definitely talk to Dr. Elioda (our MP who initially suggested I get ICOBI involved with them) about the Poets to see what else we could involve them in to further ensure their economic growth.

Cedric introduced himself as ICOBI’s social worker for the sub county. His job is to find families that house vulnerable children (AIDS orphans mainly) and train the families in new skills that will allow them to improve their economic capabilities. He wanted to make sure that as many families as possible from the Kitabi Poets become part of this program!

ICOBI is also kicking off a new program for orphans and vulnerable children on Dec. 18th and Cedric invited the Poets to be the performers at the high profile event!

All of these speeches were in Runyankore (I got translations afterwards) so I wandered out to play with the children.

I have many pictures from that day. We gathered everyone together and took a huge group shot.  In the background you can see the small church where the orphans are schooled.

As we got ready to leave (“Miller, you come, we go!” – I love this saying) Gordon tried to get the driver to leave without me and when I asked him why he would do such a thing he said “Miller, it is obvious. These are your people, you belong here with them.”

No comments: