Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ushi


One of my daily pleasures is helping my japanese roommate (Ushi - means cattle in japanese, I can't pronounce his real name) practice his english.  The other day we had a crazy infestation of flying bugs.  I ran around screaming and yelling "Ushi! There is one here!" and then he would step on them.  He started using the word 'gross' after that.

His new favorite is "no problem" which he picked up from me and which he "likes very much".  I do say it alot!  I think it is better when he says it though, so much enthusiasm!  

I've picked up a bit of Japanese also, we always say Itadakimasu before meals: it is an all-around thanks, to the farmers, harvesters, the sun, the cook, the rain, etc.  

When we are finished eating we bow to the cook and say "go cheese so samadeshda" (no idea how to spell that haha) and the cook bows back and says "oh sama tzo samadeshda".  Literally they are "thank you for your cooking" and "thank you for your eating".  I like very much. :)

No comments: