Sunday, October 12, 2008

Giving Thanks in Uganda

I got a lovely message about Thanksgiving that prompted me to reflect on why I was a little down yesterday and today.  This entry is me working it out on 'paper'.

Thanksgiving isn't quite the same here in Uganda (of course, you may say).  I was focusing on the fact that I wasn't with my family at the cottage eating turkey and pumpkin pie. I needed a reminder that it wasn't just about gathering, it was about being thankful that I have had the ability to gather with an amazing group of people who are my family and I have done so for so many years with very little turmoil or tragedy to distract us from the important job of eating and chatting and eating some more.

I have to admit that this year I was a little down, all my roommates were gone, I sat in my cold cement house on my cold wet hill overlooking Kabwohe, and would have given my right leg (bit of an exaggeration) for the familiar smell of cooking turkey mixed with the comforting smells of my cottage.... although those have probably changed with the new reno's up there, but, I will hold onto my memories until i make new ones!  

A friend from Ankole Western dropped by to return my travel mug and three of us ended up at a small restaurant eating pork and chips and watching two episodes of Friends and one of Bones (man i miss tv!!!  first time in at least 4 months!) while I explained to them what Canadian Thanksgiving was about.  When I got into Tur-Duck-In (more american I know) they had a good laugh and i told them I was thankful for them happening by tonight and becoming my surrogate family.  One from Uganda and one from Kenya, I now have family all over the world!

I have a lot to be thankful for here in Uganda and the list would be immense.  But first and foremost I am thankful that I am here at all.  I have had the upbringing and support from this same family to be open minded, adventurous, eager to meet new people, and, more tangibly, the means by which to buy a plane ticket to come here.

I don't know how thanksgiving went this year with my family, but I hope that everyone made the best of what can be a difficult situation.  Families getting together may be a recipe for disaster, but we don't do it just to torture ourselves or to make ourselves miserable, we do it because we recognize that these are the people in the world who will be there for you when you really need them, and we do it to make memories that last until next year and traditions that last lifetimes.  Many individuals miss out on this: they flit from one turkey dinner to another, every year is different, they miss out on the same banter, the same games, the same wonderful people.  I am truly blessed.

ps. I can't get over the fact that all over Canada people are eating pumpkin pie without me.  You better be savouring every single bite!!!!!

The original email:
Dear Family,

There is so much to be thankful for and I am so thankful for all of you. Here are a few memories attesting to my thankfulness. Celebrate your blessings and share your love, remembering those less fortunate as well as our own family members who may be struggling. The Creator has been so good to us and all we are asked in return is to give thanks to all of creation. So be it with One Mind we say thanks. Love and deepest appreciation for all of you.

Paul

No comments: