Does this make anyone else mad?
2) The Greens get 6.8% of the vote and zero seats.
The Bloc gets 9.97% of votes and get 50 (FIFTEEEEE) seats.
You can have a near MAJORITY with only 37% of votes??!?!
Is this democracy? Can anyone say electoral system change needed?
3) I give up.... until the next election, which, I predict, will be in the next year or so.
ps. When I get back to Canada I am going to start a blog that follows Pierre Poilivre's every moment of hubris. I know, you just can't wait!

3 comments:
Here's a small consolation for you, and I mean small, because it comes at our expense. Stephen Harper will screw the country up so royally in the next few years that the Conservative Party will never be elected to power again.
Now I realize that this is kind of a shitty "bright side", but I am confident that time will prove Stephen Harper to be the douche that he is.
Well Harper, you wanted to be PM in these uncertain economic times, and you got it. Just be mindful of what you do, cause we're all taking notes... jackass!
Here's the real killer: Harper got 37% of the popular VOTE. But only 55% of potential electors ACTUALLY VOTED. So that means that Harper was elected Prime Minister by 20% of the electorate.
Now some people will argue that people who don't vote are just in agreement with "whatever happens" and happy with the current government. But there's another, I think, more plausible response: the Canadian Public is so disillusioned by the mud-slinging, issue-avoidance of the current party leaders (plural Harper and Layton) that they throw their hands in the air and say, it doesn't matter if I vote or not, i don't want ANY of them to be my leader!!
And we don't have a well-recognized solution to this. I suppose people could not put a mark on their ballots and then have them rejected and that would be a statement of course, but perhaps a 55% voter turnout is a symptom of a much deeper political malaise: politicians are no longer reaching Canadians and it is up to our illustrious leaders to find out why, not parade the status quo. Real change is needed in this country, both electorally and politically and unfortunately not ONE of the leading parties is really considering this issue. (Sorry Greens, I really would have liked to see some seats for you but the way the progressive vote is divided between you, the Liberals and the NDP, and any other fringe parties that may spring up, it won't happen any time soon...).
The Green party's advancement to "real party status" has been both a blessing and a curse: it has further divided the Left in this country (the curse), but the Greens have managed to make the environment a leading issue, even in a time of economic crisis. To that I say bravo. But now what?
All I have to say to Stephen Harper is this (even though he doesn't care): you may have won a minority government, but over 60% of Canadians who voted, voted against you. They won't be docile forever.
"be mindful of what you do", "they won't be docile forever"
You guys are giving me goosebumps!
I didn't realize it was only 55%, wow. how sad is that, on so many levels.
What will be interesting to watch is if the Bloc, NDP and Libs will form coalitions. That will at least keep things interesting for those of us that like to watch CPAC ;)
I really hope your vision doesn't come true Adam, but then again, people usually need something catastrophic to happen before they will push for actual change. Oh we are so short sighted.
I'm still holding on to my 1 year and another election prediction.
He will fall, oh yes, he will...
Post a Comment