Saturday, October 18, 2008

Workshop Coup

I was at a workshop today in Mbarara town (about half hour from my place - if you go to the link my district is the one to Mbarara's left that looks like it is being eaten by Mbarara district).  Being up at the crack of dawn was pretty nice, seeing as dawn is so darn pretty here!

It was a Monitoring & Evalution workshop put on by the East African Population Initiative and it was quite informative.  Unfortunately getting responses from the audience was like pulling teeth! I know this should really be just the facilitators issue to deal with, but one of the classes I am teaching is exactly like this and I really felt for him.  So, very unlike me, I ended up answering most of the questions.

When it came time to put everything we had learned into practice the facilitator asked for an example of a project that we could monitor and evaluate.  The entire class stared at him blankly.  
Except me.  "Why don't we do a project that uses theatre and dance to sensitize secondary school students about HIV and promotes behaviour change."  So we did, and I got free labour and 40 minds working on my next project proposal.

Today I rock.

ps. The 'taxi' (corolla that acts like OC Transpo) I took home today had four people in the front seat and five plus a baby in the back.  The potholes and speedbumbs hurt more when you crack heads with the lady who is pretty much sitting ON you.  "Tugenday," I say!  (let us go together)

No comments: